history of Santa Clara and the order of the Claristas nuns date back to
The license for its establishment was obtained trough mediation of
the Franciscan monk in the city.
Founded by six nuns who came from Puebla, Mexico, the funds necessary
for the establishment and maintenance of the nuns were provided through
donation of local people, One of these was a widow who also gave her
home, which served as a temporary residence for the nuns.
bibliographic references remain of the original church and convent,
since they were both destroyed in the earthquake of 1717.
The second church and convent were built from 1723 to 1734.
The convent, a large cloister surrounded by a two-storied arcade, had
cells for 46 nuns, a hospital with room for convalescing patients, a
place for the novices, a sacristy, a dining room, kitchen, and even a
ward for insane nuns.
earthquake of 1773 left Santa Clara practically in ruins for the second
time, nevertheless the south side of the church, with intricate
decoration in molded plaster, is one of the most interesting and well
preserved in Antigua Guatemala.